Seilo chapel, Cefn Coch stands close to a crossroads on the road to Llanfairynghornwy in the north of Anglesey.

The chapel was established through the efforts of two local men. One of them was Gweirydd ap Rhys (Robert John Pryse), who is described as one of the most active writers of the 19th century. He was a lexicographer and a major contributor to Y Gwyddoniadur Cymreig (The Welsh Encyclopaedia). The other was John Roberts (Ederyn), a local businessman and poet.

We know that Gweirydd ap Rhys attended Hen Fethel chapel (MC) in Llanrhuddlad for a number of years, but began to feel dissatisfied there. He decided to join the Congregationalists, and would walk three miles to go to Ebeneser chapel in Llanfechell. Walking with him, would be John Roberts (Edeyrn), Pandy Cefn Coch. The two began to discuss the idea of having an Independent chapel in a place between Cae Crin and Pandy Cefn Coch, so that they could save walking such distance every Sunday

They both agreed that a piece of land in Carreg Cam would be a suitable location to build the chapel, land belonging to the O. A. P. Meurig Estate, Bodorgan. Gweirydd ap Rhys was responsible for securing permission to get the land to build on. A few shillings a year were paid for a lease of twenty-one years. John Roberts (Edeyrn) gave most of the money towards building Seilo chapel, and he was allowed to keep the deeds.

The chapel cost £130 to build, with Edeyrn donating £100 and the other £30 was obtained through donations. The Seilo chapel was opened on 14 November 1838. There were ten members in the session at the beginning, which increased to fifty within six months.

There are documents indicating the official registration of the chapel in 1954; and that in accordance with the 18 and 19 Acts ‘Meeting Place for Religious Services’, which were passed during the reign of Queen Victoria. A fee of 2/6d had to be paid to Anglesey County Council to register the building. The language of these documents was English. Another license was obtained in 1959, this time to ensure that the chapel was allowed to host weddings. Attached to the English certificate was a letter of acknowledgement in Welsh this time. The first couple to marry there were John Rowlands, Ty'n Cae, Llanfaethlu and Eirwen Jones, Penyrorsedd, Llanfechell.

There was a service to celebrate the 150 in 1988, with a number of former members joining the congregation. The church has been without a minister since 1983, and the faithful have been diligent in ensuring that every Sunday is filled with a combination of ministers, preachers and prayer meetings. The chapel building and chapel house have been looked after over the years, and both are still in good condition. Since the beginning, Seilo has been independent in many ways, and also in the true meaning of the word, against all odds and difficulties. Although the numbers have decreased over the years, the church continues to this day, with a small, loyal core keeping the door open. There is now a service held once a month.

Useful Links

Keep Informed

Receive the latest news, videos and resources.